• Question: Would you call yourself an introvert or an extrovert, and how has that helped you further your scientific career?

Asked by Astro to Zoya, Tom, Stacey, Laura, James, Connor on 16 Mar 2020.
    • Photo: James Lees

James Lees answered on 16 Mar 2020:

I’m somewhere in the middle. On the day to day i’m very introverted which means i’m happy staying long hours alone in the lab.

On the other hand I can be very extroverted in bursts which is helpful for all of the outreach talks and workshops that I do.

• Photo: Connor Prior

Connor Prior answered on 16 Mar 2020:

I’m very much an extrovert! This has helped me because I can work well with others and I’m willing to communicate with my opinions across.

BUT, in my lab we have a mix of introverts and extroverts. Neither, should halt you wanting to become a scientist we are all different!

• Photo: Stacey New

Stacey New answered on 16 Mar 2020:

I’m like James, but probably swing slightly more towards the extrovert end of the scale as I love working in teams, playing team sports and definitely feed off of other peoples energy. But I also don’t mind working alone and sometime prefer it. Scientists come in all packages, some are super extroverted, some introverted. Anyone can be a scientist which is why I love science.

• Photo: Laura Mason

Laura Mason answered on 16 Mar 2020:

Like some of the others I’m in the middle somewhere. I’m quite introverted normally especially with people I don’t know but open up when I get more comfortable. This means it can be challenging in new situations but I always try my best to put myself out there as I know it will be worth it in the end. It doesn’t matter where you fall in the introverted-extroverted spectrum, science is open to all but knowing the area you can work on will always help you

• Photo: Zoya

Zoya answered on 17 Mar 2020:

I’m pretty much like james. I like to be by myself most times, but I’m a huge extrovert when I’m at work or outside in general.