• Question: How long did it take to get to this job and do you regret it?

Asked by away399day to Zoya, Tom, Stacey, Laura, James, Connor on 13 Mar 2020. This question was also asked by join399day.
    • Photo: Stacey New

Stacey New answered on 13 Mar 2020:

I really wanted to do a PhD so my route to my current job as a Climate Scientist has been longer than some peoples. Quite a few people here at the Met Office don’t have Masters or PhD’s!

I spent 3 years getting my BSc Geography degree, then 1 year getting my Masters in Climate Change and then 3.5 years getting my PhD in wildfire. I loved all of my time at uni, especially my PhD where I could focus on one topic and control the research I wanted to do. No regret from me!

• Photo: Zoya

Zoya answered on 13 Mar 2020:

I spent 4 years training to get this job. Unfortunately the place I applied to did not have a role for my specialization, so it took couple of months of going back and forth with them and a whole lot of pushing for my passion for genetics to land this role. So all in all I love my job, no regrets!

• Photo: Connor Prior

Connor Prior answered on 13 Mar 2020:

I’m currently still training but I love what I do. I’ve been doing it for 4 years and I have zero regrets

• Photo: James Lees

James Lees answered on 13 Mar 2020:

Since leaving high school it took me 5 years to get onto the PhD.

I dont regret it… most days.

• Photo: Tom Scott

Tom Scott answered on 13 Mar 2020:

My education following school took around eight years to get a Masters degree and a PhD, and then another ten years or so to become a Professor. I don’t regret it at all!

• Photo: Laura Mason

Laura Mason answered on 16 Mar 2020:

Getting the job didn’t take very long, I heard back from the interview fairly quickly then the start date was decided based on when I would finish my PhD so all in all less than 6 months. Of course if you factor in the time it took the qualifications 4 years undergraduate, then 3 years for my PhD, its much longer but there are jobs here that wouldn’t require 7 years of university